To mark the start of a new semester, here is a post-apocalyptic (Mayan and zombie) list of seven unsuccessful student strategies I have observed.
Owing to a hangover of peace and goodwill, I have changed the title of this post from my first draft, which was How to Piss Off Your Instructor.
1. Email your instructor saying you are sick and cannot attend class. When the instructor sees you on campus 45 minutes later, tell her you are “returning equipment.” Do not attend her classes that day.
2. Arrive late for class. When the instructor asks why, say you fell asleep.
3. Arrive late for class and talk to a classmate, disrupting all those who showed up on time.
4. Miss the first class of the semester. In the second class, tell the instructor, “I’m here now for good.” Then miss two more classes.
5. Write an article in the student newspaper complaining that the college is trying to destroy your family by requiring students to meet assigned deadlines and attend classes on time.
6. Tell your instructor you were late for class because your alarm clock didn’t work.
7. Tell your instructor you missed yesterday’s class because “I had to clean my aquarium.”